Friday, September 23, 2011

Good Gifts

I turned off the shower one morning and heard Jacob yelling at me:

“Mommy, I fixed your bed!”

My first thought was panic. Our new bedroom furniture had just been delivered the day before. There were new, light blue sheets on the bed and a new bright, white bedspread. I was so fearful of what he “fixed”.

I quickly put in my contacts and held my breath as I slowly peaked my head out of the bathroom. What I saw surprised me; it wasn’t at all what I had imagined…Jacob had made the bed! It was as beautifully made as a 3-year-old could do. He was so proud. He told me that it was “all messed up and I fixed it!” Here he was doing something so sweet and here I was assuming he had done something bad.

How many times do I have the same experience with God? I ask for something and don’t expect it. In fact, sometimes I expect the opposite. I know in my head that my Heavenly Father loves me and wants what is best for me and yet I still expect bad. Sometimes I live my life wondering what bad thing is just around the corner instead of enjoying and being grateful for the abundant blessings I have today.

How our father treated us tends to shape how we view God’s love towards us. Maybe your dad had conditions on everything and so you think you have to do everything just right (even pray just right) for God to do anything for you. Maybe your father gave you everything and so when God doesn’t answer your prayers with a “yes”, you think that He doesn’t love you.

As I get older, I see how my life experiences shape my view of my God instead of God’s Word shaping my view of Him. I love it when God uses seemly silly experiences to help set me straight. I’m reminded of Matthew 7:11, “If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!”

I’m going to go look at my “made” bed and enjoy the loving gesture of a 3-year-old and an important lesson from My God!

No comments:

Post a Comment